Our law firm has helped many victims of car accidents over the years, and we’ve seen first hand how devastating these crashes can be. It’s no secret that driving in Ohio during the winter months can be a real challenge, but there are precautions you can take to avoid a winter collision.
Here are a few important tips to help you stay safe during the winter.
- Stay home if there are severe weather warnings! Too many people take unnecessary risks when they can easily wait until the roads are cleared. Be patient and stay off the roads.
- Keep your headlights on so other drivers can see you. Last year, it became a law in Ohio to have your lights on when your windshield wipers are operating.
- Leave yourself plenty of room to brake. According to the Ohio Committee for Severe Weather Awareness, it can take nine times the distance to brake on snowy roads than it does on dry roads. Nine times! So, be smart and give the guy in front of you lots of room.
- Don’t stop at your windshield when clearing away the snow. Be sure to also clean your windows, brake lights and headlights. Every bit of visibility helps.
- If you do find yourself in an accident, please call us as soon as possible. The longer you wait, the more difficult it becomes to gather relevant evidence to help you with your case. When in doubt, just call and we can advise you.