At Bentoff & Duber, we care about our clients and we want to make sure you are aware of the latest medical recalls and alerts. This new blog post series will provide you with the latest in medical recall news, keeping you safe, informed and proactive. If you’ve been affected by one of these recalls, contact us. We have a team of attorneys equipped to help you handle the next step.
Unapproved New Drugs
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced three recalls of different dietary supplements in July 2013. All three were listed as unapproved new drugs and may pose a health threat to consumers.
- Esbelin Siloutte Te and Esbelin Siloutte Vitamin Supplement by Herbal Give Care LLC contains an ingredient that may increase blood pressure or pulse rate and cause risk for patients with preexisting conditions.
- Volcano by Volcano Company contains PDE 5 inhibitors that may interact with nitrates found in some prescription drugs and may lower blood pressure to potentially life-threatening levels.
- Silver Sword by Hardmenstore.com could potentially result in decreased blood pressure, light-headedness and dizziness.
Defective Drug Reminder
Because past FDA rulings and health alerts could still be affecting patients today, we want to remind you of some of the larger stories in defective medications. Four drugs have been revealed to cause serious birth defects, even after being prescribed during pregnancy and deemed as safe.
- Topamax was reclassified as a category D drug, which means it has been confirmed as presenting a risk of fetal injury. Topamaz has been linked to cleft palates and cleft lips.
- Depakote, when taken during the first trimester of pregnancy, can greatly increase the risk of children being born with birth defects including spina bifida, hand malformations and underdeveloped right heart.
- Paxil and Zoloft when taken during pregnancy has been linked to persistent pulmonary hypertension in the newborn (PPHN).
If you have suffered as a result of this or any other pharmaceutical manufacturer negligence, we are here to take care of you. Call us today at 216-861-1234 for a free consultation.